10 Amazing Health & Nutritional Benefits of Figs, Nutrition Facts of Figs
It is a pear shaped delicious fruit that belongs to mulberry family. In fact it actually can be considered as their grandparent, Fig is a very ancient fruit. It is largely cultivated in USA and Spain. There are many nutritional benefits of figs and they are rich in vitamins, antioxidants and phyto-nutrients. It can be grown in gardens and the fruits are borne twice a year which is in summer and spring. Figs can be enjoyed both in fresh or dry state. It has a sweet aroma and you can enjoy eating it fresh and tastes good if it is kept cold. It looks leathery from outer part and contains various club shaped ovaries inside it. Figs have different shapes and colors like white, black and red.
Nutritional Benefits of Figs:
#1: Figs are good during pregnancy
- Figs contain a good amount of minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, zinc which are necessary nutrients during pregnancy.
- These are rich in fiber and alkaline in nature that benefits during pregnancy. This is why nutritional benefits of figs are good for pregnant women.
#2: It cures acne
- Figs can cure acne due to its fiber and mineral contents. If you apply the mashed figs over your face for 20 minutes to dry that gives best results against acne.
- These are also helpful in anti-aging that keeps your skin good and wrinkle free. So respect the great uncle “Fig” and start using it on your face!
#3: Helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure
- Dried figs contain a large amount of calcium, copper, potassium, manganese, iron, selenium and zinc. As potassium helps in controlling heart rate and blood pressure, copper also produces red blood cells. The nutritional benefits of figs are helpful for heart patients.
- Iron helps the body in cell formation and cellular oxidation.
#4: Prevents constipation
- Figs are rich in fiber. The fiber present helps in preventing and curing constipation and keeps your stomach healthy.
- high fiber contents along with an electrolyte property help the body in this case.
#5: It is helpful in diabetes
- Some of the health benefits of fig are great! Figs are helpful in diabetes and so does the fig leaves. The leaves try to minimize the need of insulin in the body for the diabetes patients. You can ingest them in your body which is very helpful.
- Figs also balance the blood sugar level that helps you maintain a good health.
#6: It is helpful in morning sickness
- Figs contain a large amount of vitamin C that helps you to overcome morning sickness. It refreshes and delights your mood. So you can have it daily in your breakfast which comes with healthy properties and it also tastes good enough that to lighten up your mood.
#7: It keeps your mouth healthy
- The nutritional benefits of figs can be very helpful to the people who suffer from a stinking mouth problem.The fig leaves are very good for mouth. If you chew 2 to 3 leaves and after that gargle with water it helps you overcome bad breath. Mouth ulcer is also cured by this process.
- Presence of Vitamin B keeps your mouth healthy and cures many kind of mouth diseases.
#8: Figs keep you healthy
- Figs contain a good amount of dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins and most importantly the antioxidants that protect you from diseases. All the nutrients give sufficient diet to the entire body for a whole day.
- It is also very low in calories which help you remain healthy.
#9: It helps you in losing weight
- Figs nutritional benefits can help you in losing weight as it contains a good amount of soluble dietary fiber that helps the body lose weight.
- It is also a low calorie content food which keeps body slim.
#10: It helps in metabolism of carbohydrates
- The nutrition facts of Figs are very good, they contain a good quantity of Vitamin B6 compounds that are niacin, pyridoxine, folates and pantothenic acid that are the cofactors for the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.