10 Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About United Kingdom
United Kingdom, officially known as United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a sovereign state located at north-west Europe. United Kingdom has four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Let us know some interesting facts about United Kingdom
Interesting Facts About United Kingdom
#1: Drink Drink
- London has the credit for the first hot chocolate store ever opened.
- The English drink the most tea in the world.
- It is against the law to get drunk in a pub in England.
- In Scotland, it is against the law to get drunk and possess a cow.
#2: Name Forms
- The conventional long form of the United Kingdom is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain includes England, Scotland and Wales.
- Many people use just the abbreviation UK.
- The conventional short form is the United Kingdom.
- UK mostly has knife edge ridges and high grounds with valleys in between. Thick glaciers from the Ice age are responsible for such a terrain.
- Almost 75% of the land in the UK is taken for farming.
- The highest point is Ben Navis at 1,343 m and the lowest point is -4m at The Fens.
- The United Kingdom happens to be the first industrialized country in the World.
- Polo, soccer and Rugby were introduced to the world by the UK.
- The British invented the world’s earliest railways.
- John Walker invented the matches in 1827. He was British.
#5: Famous Architecture
- The Buckingham Palace has its own police station.
- The largest Royal home is the Windsor castle.
- Big Ben refers to the bell and not the clock.
- There are 28 world heritage sites in the UK and 4 in London. These include The west minister palace, The tower of London, Maritime Greenwich, Kew Botanical gardens. These interesting facts about United Kingdom Architecture are are really exciting.
#6: Tube & The Underground
- In all of Western Europe, Angel tube station has the longest escalator.
- About 409 escalators are there in the subways.
- London bags the first place to have an underground subway system.
- The tube route from Leicester Square to Covent Garden can be covered quicker on foot. However this seems to be the most popular route tourists take.
- The tube route also happens to be the costliest and unreliable.
- Nelson Mandela called the spice girls his heroes when he met them.
- The Beatles originally called themselves the Blackjacks and then the Quarrymen.
- There is no portrait of William shakespeare painted, when he was alive.
- To make a billion dollars from writing books has been achieved by JK Rowling.
- From Canterbury to London, the bus route that Ian Flemming took inspired the 007 for James Bond.
- According to history, the London Bridge had indeed fallen down according to the old rhyme, when the Saxons had torn it down using ropes and boats.
- The Thames has over 200 bridges and tunnels along its course.
There are some interesting facts about United Kingdom related to animals:
- In Medieval England, animals were tried for their crimes and even punished for them.
- Pygg meant clay in Olden days. People stored their coins in these clay jars which later evolved to piggy banks.
- The Mute swans are officially owned by the Queen.
- The driver of the vehicle who kills a deer cannot eat it, but the person sitting beside can do so.
- The chickens outnumber the humans in UK.
- The United Kingdom is the only union to not have its name on post.
- To paste a stamp that has the Monarch’s face upside down is considered treason.