10 Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About South Korea
South Korea, officially known as Republic of Korea. The country is located at the Southern part of Korean Peninsula. South Korea is surrounded by China, Japan and North Korea. Let us know some interesting facts about South Korea
Interesting Facts About South Korea
#1: Sweet Potato Fact
- South Koreans love sweet potato flavoured delicacies to such an extent that there is every possible dish flavoured with sweet potato. To name a few, there are main courses, desserts, chips, latte, bread and salads.
#2: Born a Year Old
- When you are born in South Korea, you are considered a year old. This means that you age faster by a year if you are a South Korean compared to a westerner.
#3: Drinking in Public Legal
- This one of the fun cum interesting facts about South Korea: This country is one that permits drinking in public and the act is considered perfectly legal. People can carry alcoholic containers in public and can take a drink or two.
#4: Deathly Facts
- Writing a person’s name in red ink indicates that the person is about to die or is already dead and gone. One needs to be careful and avoid the use of red ink.
- South Koreans also believe that leaving an electric fan on overnight would kill the person sleeping directly below it. It is called the ‘Fan Death’ concept.
- The number ‘4’ is considered unlucky and is associated with death. This belief seems to have rubbed off from china.
- South Koreans love to shop. The country has some of the biggest shopping malls in the world. The stores are open until 4 in the morning while restaurants, bars, cafe are open till 11 in the night.
- The flag has a whole lot of philosophy behind it.
- The flag has a white background with a yin – yang symbol in the centre and four trigrams in the four corners of the flag.
- The Yin yang is in blue and red and represents the cosmic forces acting against each other to bring a balance and harmony.
- The trigrams on each corner symbolize the universal elements heaven, earth, fire and water.
- A strong bond among the Koreans prevails as they speak and write the same language. The Hangul language consists of 14 consonants and 10 vowels. These alphabets can be combined to form various syllables. It is considered one of the standard scientific writing systems. This particular fact is one of the most popular fact among all interesting facts about South Korea.
- The South Koreans also read newspapers with around 63 of them having daily print editions.
#8: Why Not One Korea?
- Till 1945, Korea had indeed remained a single unified kingdom. Once Japan was defeated in the World War II, it was ousted out of Korea and the region was divided into two. One half was governed by the Soviet Union while the other half was governed by the United States.
- During the cold war, the two halves warred against each other and it was well known that both sides had outside support. The two halves remained separated and there was no chance of reconciliation.
- The Korean War was the first major military conflict between the Soviet Union and the United States.
- The South Korean Government is supposed to be a democratic one, but has been ruled by a series of military rules. It offers religious freedom and there is no national religion as such. Buddhism and Christianity have powerful presences in the nation.
#9: Colour Coded Taxi
- The taxis in South Korea are colour coded according to the level of service offered.
- If you hire a grey or white taxi, your tax would be a basic car with a fully qualified but not so experienced driver. Whereas if you hire a black cab, you will get a luxury car with a more experienced driver.
#10: Smiling ROOF
- All Korean roofs are curved at the ends giving an appearance of a smile.
korea is so cool and you people are so fat so stop eating so much junk and eat healthy so you do not get a big butt
just kidding i love Korea i have a friend named geso he is so cool
Omo… =-O Really u have a frnd in korea? Thats great..
worst place in the world
Don’t go hating on South Korea.
I like them all.
Wow!! I didn’t realise that south Korea was so interesting! My homework was to find interesting facts about south Korea, and this has helped me so much!
I like it . But Why is that they will add 1 year in age after Newyear
When I was 3 years old my mum took me to South Korea and I loved it.
this helped me learn a lot of facts better than i did before 😀
I think it can really help you. My grandparents are from Korea and my mom is Korean. Anyways in like one week I have to do a speech on Korea for 4-H. I think South Korea is a good place, But North Korea is the bad place. I don’t think it’s fair for people to make fun of South Korea when North Korea is the bad side. Btw my great grandfather traveled from North Korea to South Korea because he didn’t like living in North Korea. He left his mom, dad, and siblings behind! Now imagine if you didn’t like something and you wanted to leave, would you do it? If you really disliked something would you leave your family behind?
If so, please reply to me so I can see how many people would leave their families behind for something they hate.
Thanks for reading this
If you hate South Korea, YOUR A HATER!!!!!!!!!!!
number 10 isn’t true…
number 10 IS TRUE, stupid Jaeeun Han
I moved from South Korea to America when I was in 4th grade and I miss South Korea and my South Korean friends so much! I love the food and their holiday and especially K- Pop. I love exo and BTS and I am sooo proud that I am South Korean!!! 한국 사랑행~
Wow…i wish I was born a Korean or at least could move to Korea…
Yes I live kpop immensely… <3 I love 2ne1 , Super Junior , Exo and Ss501..
I can understand ur live for Korea cuz even I love it even though I am an Indian..
Korea Bansai !!! <3
Hi I’m a Ghanaian . I want a Korean friend
I really enjoyed south korea was in the military there for 2 yrs, really miss it
Awesome!! I have a project that we had to choose a country in Asia and i chose South Korea and I have to research about it. I chose SK coz i think its amaaazing.
I really love south Korea, and I’m a Liberian, next year I will be in Korea,my friends I all there.
watch out for me live in Korea 2017