Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About Pakistan
The Islamic Republic of Pakistan is predominantly a Muslim country with population larger than that of Russia despite being a small one. It has varied geography contributing to its rich wildlife and climates. Now let us know some very interesting facts about Pakistan
Interesting Facts About Pakistan
#1: Origin of the Name
In the languages of Persian and Urdu Pakistan means the Land of pure. Coined as Pakistan in 1933 by Choudhary Rahmat Ali who belonged to the Pakistan Movement published the name in his Now or Never pamphlet. It is said to refer to P from Punjab, A from the Afghania province, K from Kashmir, S from Sindh and tan from Baluchistan. The letter i has been joined to make it easy to pronounce.
#2: Nuclear Facts
The country is the only Islam country to have declared that it possesses nuclear weapons. It also happens to be the first country to operate nuclear plants that are civil power plants. The Pakistan Atomic energy commission (PAEC) oversees the functioning and maintenance of the plants. The nuclear development is strongly supported by China.
There are some interesting facts about Pakistan related to sports in the country, here are they:-
- Cricket is popularly played in Pakistan though its players have been in the news for quite a few betting scams and the like. The other popular sports are hockey and football.
- The Shundur polo festival is organized in Pakistan where the highest polo ground in the World is located.
- Originally the country’s Independence Day was celebrated on the 15th of August. Later on it changed to the 14th of August. This is due to the fact the country was given independence at midnight of 14th August and the 15th August.
- It separated on the occasion from its neighbor India on the very same day when the country gained its independence from the oppressive British rule.
With the Arabian Sea bordering the country there are many sea ports that include Karachi, Muhammad bin Qasim. The Gwadar is said to be the World’s largest deep sea port.
#6: Shalwar Kameez
The national dress of Pakistan is the Shalwar Kameez. It is worn by both men and women in different styles in the provinces. They come in a variety of fabrics that include cotton, chiffon and crepe.
#7: Spicy Cuisine
- The Pakistanis tend to eat flavor rich food. The food is spicy and is said to contain Masalas which are powders that have spices ground in certain proportions. Garlic, turmeric, garam masala, red chilli and ginger add flavor to almost every other dish. The Indian flat bread called chapati is served with curries and side dishes along with Tandoor.
- The sugarcane juice is very popular and is the national drink of Pakistan. Milk and sugar along with black tea are also some of the other popular contenders.
#8: National Elements
- Urdu and English are the official languages of the state. In addition, Punjabi, Sindhi, Saraiki, Brahui are other commonly spoken languages.
- The national flower is Jasminium Officinale or the Jasmine is the official flower of Pakistan.
- The Capra Falconeri is the national animal and Alectoris Chukar is the national bird.
- The National Anthem of Pakistan ranks among the top three famous tunes of the World.
#9: Population Explosion
The population of Pakistan ranks sixth in the World and is larger than that of Russia which is the largest country in terms of land mass. It is a whooping figure that within every six seconds a baby is born in Pakistan.
#10: World Record
Another interesting facts about Pakistan is that the country holds the record for the World’s tallest cake and has the World’s largest irrigation system. It also planted 750,000 mangrove saplings in a record in a day.