10 Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About Iran
Iran, officially known as Islamic Republic of Iran is a western Asian country. It is surrounded by Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Russia, Caspian Sea, Afghanistan, Pakistan Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Iraq and Turkey. It is the 18th largest country in the world. Let us know some interesting facts about Iran
Interesting Facts About Iran
#1: Official Facts
- The official name of Iran is the Islamic republic of Iran. In 1979, the supreme leader Ayatollah Khomeini and the religious clerics assumed power after overthrowing the monarchy.
- The capital of Iran is the city of Tehran. It also happens to be the largest city in Iran.
- The word Iran means ‘The land of Aryans’ in Persian.
- Iran has civilizations right from 4000 BC making it one of the world’s oldest and continuous civilizations.
- Iran was called Persia in olden times.
- Iran exports petroleum, fruits and nuts, carpets, chemicals and petrochemical products.
- It imports industrial supplies, foodstuff, consumer goods, technical services and capital goods.
- Young girls in Iran are married off immediately after menarche.
- Men who do not marry are called na – mard, which translates to not – men. They stay with their natal family.
- People in Iran do not prefer to have chairs and tables in their house. They sit down on cushions to eat.
- Satellite televisions are banned in households.
- People of Iran are forbidden to wear neck ties.
#3: Women’s Clothing
There are some interesting facts about Iran related to Women’s clothing fashion, here they are:
- Women are not allowed to wear bathing suits in the presence of men.
- Females over the age of nine are to wear a hijab in public.
- Women are prohibited from watching sport matches. They resort to cross dressing to watch the games.
#4: Bordering Countries
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Iraq and Turkey are the neighbors of Iran.
#5: Wind Energy
- Iran built the earliest known wind mills. They resembled large wheel paddles.
- Iran was the one of the few countries that realized the potential of wind energy and was pioneering.
#6: The Iranian Flag
- The flag has thee equal width horizontal bands.
- Green is the color of Islam and represents growth
- White symbolizes honesty and peace
- Red stands for bravery and martyrdom.
- In the white band, a stylized representation of the word Allah and the phrase ‘La ilaha illa Allah’ is depicted in the shape of a tulip.
#7: Iran Gate Scandal
- During the Iran – Iraq war, the United States supported Iraq and pressurized other nations from selling weapons to Iran. Later, the United States got caught selling weapons to Iran in secret.
- This scandal is also called the Iran Contra scandal.
#8: Persian cat
- The Persian cat is one of the world’s oldest breed of cats.
- Italian traders brought this breed of cats to Europe.
- The cat has long silky fur to protect it from cold in the high plateau regions of Iran.
- Short term marriages are called Sigheh. These are permitted in certain Shia schools.
- These marriages last for an hour or several years depending on the contract.
#10: Religion & Ethnicity
There are some interesting facts about Iran related to the religion and Ethnicity, here they are:
- 89% Shia Muslims and 9% Sunni Muslims make up the 98% of the population, making Islam dominant religion.
- The rest of the population consists of people following Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, and the Baha’i.
- Persians (61%), followed by Azeri (16%), Kurd (10%), Lur (6%), Baloch (2%), Arab (2%), Turkmen and Turkic tribes (2%), and other (1%) is the ethnic composition of Iran.