10 Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About India
India, officially known as Republic of India is a country situated in South Asia. It is the 7th most largest country and 2nd most populous country in the world. It is surrounded by Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Burma, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives. Let s know some interesting facts about India
Interesting Facts About India
- India is the seventh largest country by total area in the world. It has the second largest population of over 1.2 billion people. Apart from this, It can be proud of being the world’s largest democracy.
#2: Identity Elements
There are many interesting facts about India related to its identity elements, here they are:
- The Indian Fig tree, Ficus bengalensis is the national tree. The tree has roots that spread themselves over a large area and give rise to new trunks. This is associated with the myth of the tree being immortal.
- The lotus (Nelumbo Nucipera Gaertn) is the national flower. It’s design and shape have been extensively used in Indian architecture. It is considered sacred in the Indian mythology.
- The Ganga or the Ganges River is the national river. Considered sacred by the hindus, the river is the longest covering 2510 kms.
- The river dolphin is the national aquatic animal while the Bengal tiger is the national animal. The Indian peacock (Pavo Cristatus) is the national bird.
- The Mango (Mangifera Indica) is the national fruit and is eaten ripe as well as raw.
#3: Religious Vibrance
- India has a mix of people following many religions. 82% of them would be Hindus, 12 % muslims, 2.5% christians, 2% sikhs, 0.7% buddhists, 0.5% Jains, 0.01% Zorastrians, 0.005% Judaists.
- Total Area : 3,287,263 sq km
- Land Area: 2,973,193 sq km
- Water Area: 314,070 sq km
- Coastline: 7,000 km
#5: The Indian Rupee
- The name of the Indian Currency is derived from the sanskrit word, Rupyakam, which means silver coin. It has various names in each of the languages spoken in the country like Toka in Assamese, Taka in Bengali, Rupiyo in Gujarati.
- Though India has never ever invaded any other country in its very long history, it has one very long list of invaders. They include Persians, Alexander the Great armies, Muslim invaders called Mughals and the British.
- Vasco Da Gama, the sailor from Portugal circumnavigated Africa to reach India in 1498. Ghazni Mohammed has warred 17 times to finally win over and loot India. These interesting facts about India related to the Indian history are worth knowing.
- Algebra and geometry have their origins in India. The Indians take pride in the fact of the discovery of Zero. The weight category and the decimal number system was developed in 100BC.
#8: Largest, Longest, Highest, Busiest…
- The third highest mountain in the world and the highest in the country, the Kanchenjunga is shared by India with Nepal. It is 8598m tall.
- The Pamban Bridge (also known as the Indra gandhi bridge) is the longest sea bridge in India and is 2.3 km long. It has a facility of unique opening to let ships pass through.
- The World’s longest river bridge is the Mahatma Gandhi Setu bridge, built over the river Ganga and is located in the state of Patna.
- The longest railway platform in India is located in the Kharagpur railway station. It already has been extended twice.
- India has the most number of post offices in the world.
- The Indian Railways is the largest employer in the world and is the largest rail network in Asia.