10 Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About Italy
Interesting Facts About Italy
#1: Beautiful Country
- Italy has been nicknamed Bel Paese meaning beautiful country.
- The official name of Italy is Repubblica Italica (Italian Republic).
- The country looks like a high heeled boot in shape!
- Italia means calf land. The name may be derived from the picture of the bull symbol of the southern Italian tribes.
- Parma in Italy is where the Parmesan cheese originated.
- The Italians also have created other varieties like Mozzarella, Provolone, Ricotta, and Gorgonzola.
#3: Fault Line
- Italy has more volcanoes than the other European countries. There is a fault line in the tectonic plates under the country.
- Etna, Vesuvius and Stromboli have erupted in the last hundred years and are major volcanoes.
- The Italians are not spared of Earth quakes either. A 100,000 people died in a 1963 quake. In 1980, 3000 people were killed in one that shook Naples.
#4: Three Fountains
- Dante Alighieri (1265-1321), Francesco Petrarch (1304-1374), Giovanni Boccaccio (1313-1375) are the all time famous Italian authors. They are known as the Three Fountains.
- The Divine Comedy by Dante is tremendously influential on the literature.
- Dante is also considered the Father of the Italian literature.
- Italians got introduced to the sport in the late 1800s by the British. Mussolini in 1930 promoted the sport to an international level.
- Fans are called tifosi, which meant carrier of typhus. The Italian fans display rowdy behavior and lack inhibition.
#6: Real Human Chess
- This one is probably one of the most interesting facts of Italy: In 1454, a real human chess duel was held to decide who would win the hand of a beautiful girl in Marostica in Italy.
- Even nowadays, in the even numbered years, in September the piazza becomes a live chess board.
- The ice cream cone was invented by the Italian.
- The Espresso was invented by an Italian who did so to reduce breaks.
- The Italians invented the Thermometer.
- They also invented the typewriter.
- Italians invented Pizza and ice cream
- As already noted, they also created cheese.
#8: Bizarre Facts
There are many interesting facts about Italy, now let us know some Bizarre Facts About Italy:
- The Italians did not apologize if they felt that they were not at fault. Repentance is best left to confession.
- Drawing with crayons on pavements was criminally equal to beggary and is punished.
- Depending on whether you get one or two invites to a wedding, you attend the official ceremony if you get one and are invited to drinks too if you get the second one too.
- Italian people are very superstitious, considering the fact that they have 150,000 officially registered magicians. Over 16 million people use their services.
- Mussolini renamed Mickey Mouse as Topolino, Donald duck as Paperino, Goofy as Pippo. This was done to eliminate foreign words from Italian.
#9: Two Independent States on the Inside
- Italy surrounds two important independent states of the world.
- The Vatican City is just 108.7 acres and has its own phone company, radio, TV stations, money and stamps. Its army is the historic Swiss Guard!
- The Republic of San Marino is one of the world’s oldest countries and has the world’s oldest continuous constitution. It has a small population of 30,000 people. The citizens are called Sammarinese.
- Gucci, Prada, Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Giorgio Armani, Ermenegildo Zegna, Gianfranco Ferré, Salvatore Ferragamo, Roberto Cavalli, Fendi, Valentino, Trussardi, Benetton are some of the fashion designers of Italy, making the list of very famous fashion designers.