10 Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About Iran
Interesting Facts About Iran
#1: Official Facts
- The official name of Iran is the Islamic republic of Iran. In 1979, the supreme leader Ayatollah Khomeini and the religious clerics assumed power after overthrowing the monarchy.
- The capital of Iran is the city of Tehran. It also happens to be the largest city in Iran.
- The word Iran means ‘The land of Aryans’ in Persian.
- Iran has civilizations right from 4000 BC making it one of the world’s oldest and continuous civilizations.
- Iran was called Persia in olden times.
- Iran exports petroleum, fruits and nuts, carpets, chemicals and petrochemical products.
- It imports industrial supplies, foodstuff, consumer goods, technical services and capital goods.
- Young girls in Iran are married off immediately after menarche.
- Men who do not marry are called na – mard, which translates to not – men. They stay with their natal family.
- People in Iran do not prefer to have chairs and tables in their house. They sit down on cushions to eat.
- Satellite televisions are banned in households.
- People of Iran are forbidden to wear neck ties.
#3: Women’s Clothing
There are some interesting facts about Iran related to Women’s clothing fashion, here they are:
- Women are not allowed to wear bathing suits in the presence of men.
- Females over the age of nine are to wear a hijab in public.
- Women are prohibited from watching sport matches. They resort to cross dressing to watch the games.
#4: Bordering Countries
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Iraq and Turkey are the neighbors of Iran.
#5: Wind Energy
- Iran built the earliest known wind mills. They resembled large wheel paddles.
- Iran was the one of the few countries that realized the potential of wind energy and was pioneering.
#6: The Iranian Flag
- The flag has thee equal width horizontal bands.
- Green is the color of Islam and represents growth
- White symbolizes honesty and peace
- Red stands for bravery and martyrdom.
- In the white band, a stylized representation of the word Allah and the phrase ‘La ilaha illa Allah’ is depicted in the shape of a tulip.
#7: Iran Gate Scandal
- During the Iran – Iraq war, the United States supported Iraq and pressurized other nations from selling weapons to Iran. Later, the United States got caught selling weapons to Iran in secret.
- This scandal is also called the Iran Contra scandal.
#8: Persian cat
- The Persian cat is one of the world’s oldest breed of cats.
- Italian traders brought this breed of cats to Europe.
- The cat has long silky fur to protect it from cold in the high plateau regions of Iran.
- Short term marriages are called Sigheh. These are permitted in certain Shia schools.
- These marriages last for an hour or several years depending on the contract.
#10: Religion & Ethnicity
There are some interesting facts about Iran related to the religion and Ethnicity, here they are:
- 89% Shia Muslims and 9% Sunni Muslims make up the 98% of the population, making Islam dominant religion.
- The rest of the population consists of people following Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, and the Baha’i.
- Persians (61%), followed by Azeri (16%), Kurd (10%), Lur (6%), Baloch (2%), Arab (2%), Turkmen and Turkic tribes (2%), and other (1%) is the ethnic composition of Iran.