10 Amazing, Fun & Interesting Facts About France
Interesting Facts About France
#1: Land Area
- Though France is the largest European country, when it comes to land area after Russia and Ukraine, nearly 20% of the French territory lies outside Europe in the overseas department and territories (DOM TOM).
#2: Roots & Origin
- The German tribe ‘Franks’ lend their name to France. They settled in the Western Roman Empire after the second century.
- The state is the oldest in Europe and was founded in 843 after splitting from the Aachen.
- Since 1789, France has changed its Government form from 2 empires, 2 constitutional monarchies, and 5 republics.
- The French stand second when it comes to the area of land colonized. They had colonized 8.6% of the total land area.
#4: Marrying the Dead!
- In very exceptional cases, you could marry a deceased person with the permission of the President.
#5: France & Science
- The World’s first international scientific conference was held in Paris on the 2nd of February, 1799.
- Some interesting facts about France science & inventions are:The adding machine, the hot air balloon, the parachute, the submarine, animation, cinema are a few to name from the inventions and discoveries made by France.
#6: French Wine & Cuisine
- France has made wine since the Roman times.
- France has 450 different wine appellations. Only 15% of the wines are given the AOC designation benefits.
- In 2004, a whooping 56.6 hectoliters of wine was produced.
- Some of the top liquors of France are Cognac, Armagnac, Mandarine Napolean, Crème de Cassis, Pastis.
- Over 400 types of cheese are produced by France.
- Horse meat, frog’s legs and snails are delicacies for the French.
- The French fries and French toast were not invented in France.
- Charles De Gaulle International Airport is the busiest airport when it comes to cargo in Europe and stands sixth in the world.
- The headquarters of Airbus is in Toulouse.
- The French TGV has an average speed of 263.3 km/hr from station to station and is the fastest train in the world.
- The Millau Viaduct in southern France is the world’s tallest bridge.
#8: Kiss & Greet
- The French kiss each other on the cheeks as a form of greeting. The number of times kissed may vary from region to region.
- It is illegal to kiss on the railways in France.
- The French is called Tongue kiss or the soul kiss otherwise. This one is my personal best fact among all the interesting facts about France 😛
- The most visited country is France with around 75 million people visiting yearly.
- The most visited spot is the Disneyland Paris.
- The country has the maximum number of Ski resorts.
- Every town in France has a Victor Hugo street.
- The highest peak in France is the Mont Blanc.
- Another interesting fact about France is their language, “French”… It is the official language for countries including Switzerland, Canada, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Monaco, Congo and Niger.
- An amusing fact is that the official language of United Kingdom was French for as many as 300 years.
- Apart from English, French is the only other language that is taught in every country of the world.
- French takes pride in being the official language of the United Nations.
- During the French revolution, only 25% of the people spoke French as their mother tongue.
- Oily chalk is what Crayola means in French.