Interesting Facts About America
#1: Large Size
- North America is the 3rd largest continent in the World. The largest country in North America is Canada, while the largest city in the continent is the Mexico city.
- When it comes to South America, it is the fourth largest continent in the world. Brazil is the largest country and Suriname is the smallest country.
#2: Food Habits
There are some very interesting facts about America related to the food habits of Americans, here they are:
- Cars in America have witnessed almost 20% of the meals eaten.
- 31% of the people consume packaged food than fresh food.
- One fourth of the population eats some kind of fast food every day.
- Americans spend 10% of their disposable income on food every year.
- The kingdom of Quito and after that the Republic of Quito became which is called Ecuador today. The country gets its name from the equator. The country became independent after the collapse of the Gran Colombia in 1830.
- The country reminded its explorers of Venice when they landed. Owing to this, it was named Veneziela and later on Venezuela.
- The country has the longest cable car in the city of Merida. The Angel falls, the highest water falls in the world is also present here.
#5: Personalities of South America
- Pele (footballer), Diego Maradona (footballer), Ronaldo (footballer) , Romario (footballer), Ernesto Che Guevara (revolutionary), Sonia Braga (Actress), Carlos Gardel (singer), and Ayrton Senna (F1 driver) are some of the personalities from South America.
- Gabriel Jose Garcia Márquez won the Nobel prize for literature in 1982.
- The continents are named after Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian Explorer.
- Colombia has been named after Christopher Columbus.
#7: Presidential Facts
There are many interesting facts about America related to historical presidents of America, here they are:
- George Washington’s false teeth were made of shark bone. To go to his own inauguration, he borrowed money. He used to grow hemp.
- Thomas Jefferson had concealed a billiards pool in his home as billiards was illegal in Virginia.
- The world was flat, was a belief of Andrew Jackson.
- The oldest president elected to office is Ronald Reagan.
- Henry Truman drove himself back in his own car as he left office.
- John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln in a theatre and was found in a warehouse. Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and was found in a theatre.
- All three major 1996 Presidential candidates, Clinton, Dole and Perot, were left-handed.
- Abraham Lincoln (1860), James Garfield (1880), William McKinley (1900), Warren G. Harding (1920), Franklin Roosevelt (1940), and John F. Kennedy (1960) were all assassinated when in office.
- James Madison’s vice presidents died while he was in office.
- Taft weighed 332 pounds and was the heaviest president. He got stuck in the bath tub of the white house on his inauguration and was pried out by his assistants.
- Canada, the United States, Mexico, Central America, and the islands of the Caribbean Sea form North America.
- Latin America includes countries south of the United States and most of South America.
- Countries south of Mexico to north of Colombia – Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama constitute Central America.
- Middle America includes Mexico and Central America.
#9: Only 46
- Technically there are only 46 states; Massachusetts, Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania are Commonwealths.
#10: Anti-Cancer Plants
- About 20% of the anti-cancer plants found in the world are found exclusively in the rainforest of South America.